Wednesday, January 14, 2009

The Six Be's and Other Stuff to Know...

My sister, Sandra, has inspired me to think and be more creative. In her blog she posted that she hangs up thoughts and cute sayings around her house to remind her children of good values. She does this just in case they aren't listening to her, they will read it around the house. I knew this is something I would want to do in my house. I wondered am I teaching my children the values I want them to know by the things I have hanging on our walls? I started looking around and saw that I have already been doing this and I didn't even know I was. Here are a few pictures of what I found hanging around my house. I will take you on a tour. First, I have the Six Be's that were taught by Gordon B. Hinckley to the youth of the world in 2000. I have always loved this and made this years ago. I found the tray at a thrift store and painted on the Six Be's by hand and Mike painted the cute bee. This is hanging in our front room by the front door, as we are leaving we can be reminded how to always "BE".

Next on our tour we go to my girls room. Here I found a cute shelf that I have cute knick knacks that I have had myself or gotten for the girls. In this room I want to remind them to pray, be a friend, and always be yourself no matter what.

I made this when I was probably 12 years old. I had this hanging in my bedroom growing up and I have always tried to live this way. I took this very serious and tried to be friends with everyone. I am trying to instill this into my children that they can be friends with everyone too.

This is a poster that says, "Be your own kind of BEAUTIFUL". I want my girls to always be who they are even if they have to stand out and be the only daisy among the roses.

We then end our tour in my little boys room. In this room I want my son to know that he is a child of God, to Love one Another, and to know the scripture stories.

My little boy also loves race cars, so I had to put race cars on the shelf (he is a boy) . There are so many things we are asked to teach our children. Look around your house and see if your walls are covered with stuff that helps you teach your family. I bet you will see that you have more than you think you do.

"And ye will not suffer your children that they go hungry, or naked; neither will ye suffer that they transgress the laws of God, and fight and quarrel one with another...

But ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another." Mosiah 4:14-15

8 comments:

Tanya Yost said...

Janice,it is so good to see that life has turned around for you and your beautiful family. I love to see all the creative things that you do. I am very happy for you and your family.
tanya

Small House said...

You are certainly getting your message across. It's always fun to see what you are up to. Can't wait for the weekend to see what you come up with for your January craft. Keep me posted.

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

Thanks for the blog advice & for entering our giveaway! I just added ways for you to get extra enties in our giveaway...come by and check it out. Ok so I'm off to check out your blog!

Take Care
Darlene

Jodee said...

I love your six Be's tray!

Darlene - Our Creative Life said...

I love positive quotes too! Thanks for the comment you left on my blog. Come by later today...I'll be posting an easy Valentine's decor craft.

Linda - Behind My Red Door said...

What a great post! Kids pick up on everything so your choice of decorative signs is wonderful!!

Thanks so much for your kinds comment. I love what you said about yourself in your profile. What a wonderful way to live!!

hugs, Linda

simple country living! said...

Wow Janice! Great ideas! Keep up the good work!
God bless you!
Leona

Dahlene said...

You are so sweet Janice. I looked around my house and found it surprising of what I have on my walls to teach my children the values I want them to have.

Matt just put all the apostles and prophets up in our office. Above all of them and in the center are 3 beautiful pictures of Christ by Simon Dewey. Everytime the kids come into the office to play computer games with their friends we hope they look up at the pictures and remember who to follow.

I have all my rooms decorated with pictures of our Savior and the temple. I guess when we love Christ we make Him the center of our home automatically.

Thanks for your wonderful post and reminder of what we should be doing everyday to remind us of Christ and the things that matter.